Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Fall on the Beach

The water was inviting yesterday, but cool. I might have jumped in for a few minutes if Lou Ann had been here to join me (she'll be here this weekend). As it was, I contented myself with a long walk along the edge of the surf. Piles of sargasso seaweed lay along the high tide line, along with a myriad array of broken shells, seagull feathers, and crab claws. Pelicans were bobbing serenely on the aquamarine water just beyond the breakers.

I chose a section of beach closed to traffic, but fishermen were congregated on either end of my stretch of uncongested sand. I walked alone, barefooted, in my t-shirt, letting the healing rays of the sun warm my arms and neck. Along the way I discovered two well-worn crab pot buoys that I picked up to hang on my outbuilding, along with other buoys, a life ring, and my clam basket.

All in all not a bad way to spend a Tuesday morning.

Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Old August Storm of 1899, published September 15, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news091505.htm.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment