Monday, August 28, 2006

Looking Out My Window

I am sitting at my desk, above the Village Craftsmen. This used to be my apartment, but now it is my office. I love living in my grandparents' home, with its old beadboard walls, narrow staircase, antique windows, and pinewood floors (and its modern kitchen, two bathrooms, and central heat & A/C!). But sometimes I do miss the view from this old apartment window. Today is sunny and bright, but the graveyard across the street is nestled among the oaks and cedars, and is dappled with shadows. Several tombstones are in the open, and are gleaming in the sunlight. It is here that my parents are buried, along with four other generations of my family. They rest quietly and serenely. They are a reminder that life is short, and that the daily worries & cares of one generation pass on with them. I believe I'll just enjoy this day.

You can read our latest newsletter here. It's a history of Ocracoke's historic Howard Street.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment