Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Southern Cottage

The Southern Cottage from the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Florida Keys by Susan Sully just came out last week. A 208 page book richly illustrated with Susan's color photographs, The Southern Cottage features 18 homes, mostly modest cottages representative of southern architecture. Pages 106 - 115 highlight my home on Ocracoke Island. Eight photos and four pages of text document the house and offer a glimpse into Lou Ann's and my life on the island.

Needless to say, having my home chosen to be among the best representations of southern cottages has been exciting. All of Susan's photographs are stunningly beautiful, and I can say with confidence that she portrays the residences (or at least my residence) with integrity and sensitivity to genuineness.

The next time you are in your favorite bookstore (for me that would be Books to be Red on School Road right here in Ocracoke) take a look at the book. I think you'll be impressed.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter tells how to make a traditional wooden whistle from a myrtle branch. You can read the newsletter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment