Monday, April 23, 2007

Wooden Skeleton

It lay on the beach quiet and serene. Sixty feet long, and about four yards wide, it was a silent reminder of tragedy at sea many years ago. I stumbled across the wreck a couple of days ago, and went back this afternoon to take some photos. I mentioned the wreck to Blanche over her picket fence. "Where is it?" she wanted to know. I told her. She thought for a few moments. "You know I think that could be the remains of the Nomis," she offered.

The 134 foot Nomis wrecked on Ocracoke beach in August of 1935. She was one of the last schooners to meet her end on the island. It was as if History itself has surfaced for a while. In due time the blowing sands will re-bury the beams and spikes. In the meanwhile we can only wonder what it was like on the fateful day more than seventy years ago.

You can click on the photos below to view larger images.






This month's newsletter discusses the planned replacement of the seven bridges on Ocracoke Island in early 2008, and explains some of the issues we will face. You can read it here.

2 comments:

  1. At first I thought this was the same wreck I have been watching for the last couple of summers. Just a little down from the airport ramp. After a lot more inspection of your photos I am not so sure. I posted some pictures of the wreck I'm talking about in this Flickr set. You seem to be careful not to say where your pictures were taken so I will not ask. Thanks for your wonderful journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:59 AM

    Thanks for the photos. I have been watching a wreck identified in Duffus' book as the George W. Wells, over the last several years. It is northward from the pony pens.

    Maybe next year I wil be lucky enought to see this one.

    Again thanks for sharing your photos.

    George Wingard

    ReplyDelete