Thursday, June 14, 2007

Catching Up

Over the past several weeks readers have posted a number of comments and questions, some of which I have not had time to answer (hard as it is to believe, we who live here on Ocracoke sometimes have busy lives -- it's a good busy, but busy nonetheless).

So here goes:

  • "Some pictures of your son and family would be appreciated!" wrote one reader.

Many of you may have noticed that I don't take many photos. However, I will do my best to get a picture of my "mountain family" in July when they are all here on the island.

  • Another reader wrote, "Please tell me that the fire dept will be selling those cool t-shirts through the summer. We won't get there til Labor Day, and I usually buy them for every one I know."

I don't know for sure, but I think the t-shirts are available at the Island Ragpicker. If not, they will surely know where to get them.

  • Another question: "Philip, any word on how the Watermen's Association did in making their June 1st fund drive?"
According to the June issue of the Ocracoke Observer, "....Hyde County's Revolving Loan Fund committee stepped in and on May 7 the Hyde county commissioners voted to use its Revolving Loan Fund (RLF) to issue a short-term loan to the Ocracoke Fish House so that the Fish House would not be forced to shut down....while awaiting appropriation of funds from the General assembly this session, which would be available in the fall." For more information please visit the official web site of the Ocracoke Working Watermen's Association: http://www.ocracokewatermen.org/index.html. From their home page you can click on "Donate" or "Help Us Save Ocracoke's Last Fish House" to learn how you can help. The fishermen are also working on a new web site with information about retail sales. The site is still under construction, but you might want to bookmark it for future reference: http://www.ocracokeseafood.com/

  • A personal note to reader, Marty Tennant the hammock man (some years ago he "worked" under the tree in front of the Slushy Stand selling and "demonstrating" hammocks):

Greetings from Ocracoke. Didn't know you were reading the journal. Stop by and say hello next time you are on the island.

  • Most recently I had this comment and question: "I would love to see the Community Store reopened. Danny Garrish was my father-in-law's cousin, and we have many fond memories of him. Where could I inquire about future plans for the store?"

I don't have any new information at this time, but I understand that efforts are still ongoing to reopen the Community Store. As soon as I have any new information I will post it here.

Thanks to all of our readers for you questions and comments. We're happy to be one of your "links" to our favorite island.

Take a journey back in time with our latest Ocracoke Newsletter. You can capture some of the thrill of riding on the old mailboat Aleta by clicking here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:13 PM

    Thanksw for the updates. What about the bear that was on the island during Ocrafest? I saw him swim in on Friday near the public dock. Very concerned for his safety? Any word?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Ocracoke! One of my favorite things is biking over to get a wrap for lunch at Cat Ridge Deli. It's pretty reasonable and very delicious. But what I need to know is - where do the locals go for good, but cheapish food? Yes, we're tourists but with much less disposable income than we used to have when we vacationed there years ago and money was no object.
    Thanks and I'll be happy to return the restaurant-recommendation favor if you ever make it up north to the Eastern Shore of MD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the bear -- haven't heard any reports in about two weeks. I'm guessing he or she swam away. I'll let you all know if there's any more news about the bear.

    About food -- Cat Ridge Deli has been closed for about two years now. There are a number of other eateries on the island, of course. The truth is I don't often eat out for lunch, so I'm not the best one to ask. My advice is to just check out the menus (we have most at the Village Craftsmen, and the Variety Store posts menus also). Ocracoke does not have one all-around local favorite hidden away down some back street. When we eat out we patronize the same places tourists do.

    ReplyDelete