Monday, August 31, 2009

Morning on the Sound

Jagged streaks of lightning pierced the darkening sky as we reeled in our fishing lines this morning. Al turned the key and put the boat in gear. Al, Gary, and I were out in the sound, near Shell Castle Island, along with a few other boats. We had barely gotten under way when I looked back to see the others following behind us. Luckily, the storm wasn't moving particularly fast, and we easily made it back before the thunder rumbled uncomfortably close.

I've never been much of a fisherman (strange isn't it, living here in a fisherman's paradise), but I'm hoping to make it more a part of my "retired" life (after all, a life-time coastal fishing license for anyone over 65 is only $15.00!).

Oh yeah, I hooked a small flounder, but he wiggled free just as I pulled him to the boat.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a small photo album with historic pictures, including the aftermath of the 1944 hurricane, the 1921 Ghost Ship of the Outer Banks, the 1935 wreck of the Nomis, the Island Inn, the Methodist Church, and the Wahab Village Hotel. I've added a short paragraph under each photo to help put them in historical perspective. You can see the pictures by clicking here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news082609.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment