Friday, April 02, 2010

Loons

On a ferry crossing to Hatteras last week, Lida and I got a close up look at a loon swimming in the sound. I could see some of its brilliant summer black and white plumage already.

A few evenings ago, I took an after supper walk out to Springer's Point. The Sound was smooth as a lake and slate gray under low clouds, but busy with birds. Pelicans glided by just inches off the Sound surface; a pair of mallards landed just 10 yards or so from where I was standing. And off in the distance I saw what I believe was a pair of loons on the water.

It was too far for a definite identification, but they were low in the water like loons, had the silhouette of loons and were diving under the surface for extended time like loons.

This is especially fun for me because of all the time I've spent on the Northern lakes canoeing and enjoying the antics and "music" of loons.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is about "Ocracats" and was written by Pat Garber. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news031710.htm.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:35 PM

    Bill, you are becoming quite the birder. Next thing you know, you will be keeping a life list. Then a yard list. Then booking trips to Costa Rica with a bird guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:06 PM

    A few years ago my friend and I were on the beach and she came upon an injured loon..We wrapped it in a towel and went looking for the injured animal person that we had heard was on the island. We weren't able to find the person, unfortunately, and found a safe place to leave the bird..Can only hope that the bird remained safe and was able to heal...

    ReplyDelete