Monday, May 21, 2012

Recipes

We just published our latest Ocracoke Newsletter. I have shared a few island recipes on this blog in the past. This month I decided to reprint nine traditional Ocracoke recipes from three local cookbooks -- the "Green" cookbook published by the Methodist Church (available at the OPS museum), the "Yellow" cookbook also published by the Methodist Church (available from Village Craftsmen), and the "Hoi Toide" cookbook published by the volunteer fire department (unfortunately out of print).

Click on this link (www.villagecraftsmen.com/news052112.htm) to see the recipes, and to start putting a little bit of Ocracoke on your dining room table.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:14 AM

    Goood morning
    I thank you for the dinner ideas. My grandfather was from OI & we always called it supper, which we ate in the kitchen. My grandkids laugh at me when I sometimes still say supper. I was wondering if the typical OI house like yours even has a dining room, and do you guys still call it supper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditionally, Ocracokers ate their dinner at 11:30 am. Supper for "creekers" was at 4:30 and for "pointers" at 3:30.

    My house originally did not have a kitchen. The kitchen was a separate building behind the house. By the time I was a child a small porch had been enclosed, and the kitchen was installed there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:22 PM

    from anon.9:14...thanks--always suspected it, now I am sure...I AM a dingbat!

    ReplyDelete