Sunday, December 02, 2012

Whelk Egg Case

Back in March I posted a few paragraphs about whelk egg cases (http://villagecraftsmen.blogspot.com/2012/03/egg-cases.html). But the specimen I had was just eight capsules long. A few days ago I found a long, fresh serpentine string of egg cases. Sometimes they are called Mermaids necklaces.

Whelk Egg Case














The whelk shells inside each capsule are so tiny (about 4mm) that I could not get a decent photo. I had to use a magnifying lens even to see them clearly.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the day Charles Lindbergh landed on Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news112112.htm.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:38 AM

    That is amazing great photo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:57 PM

    Love these. Philip, I am wondering if you could treat your followers to some stories of Christmas on Ocracoke through the years. Where did everyone get their trees, types of decorations that might be unique to the Island and traditions carried on through the years? I, for one, would love to read about it! Thanks in advance for considering this. (I am fairly new, so my apologies if this was already covered in years past!)
    NJ Reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely stuning. I have never seen anything like that in my life. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:10 PM

    It does look like a necklace....lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NJ Reader, please look for a blog post about Ocracoke Christmas traditions in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:49 AM

    Philip,
    Thank you for considering my suggestion about Ocracoke Christmas traditions. I look forward to it!
    NJ Reader

    ReplyDelete