Friday, July 05, 2013

Tolson - Rondthaler Oak

A few days ago Katherine ("Bobbie") Rondthaler Woodwell sent me the following photo of a stately live oak that grows in her yard.


















I thought that this beautiful tree might qualify for membership in the Live Oak Society but, alas, it measures just shy of 6 feet in girth, much less than the 8 feet required. Nevertheless, Bobbie, her daughter Jane, and I decided that the tree needed a name. We are calling it the Tolson-Rondthaler Oak after my Uncle Dan & Aunt Sabra Tolson (native owners of the property) and Theodore & Alice Rondthaler (Bobbie's parents).

Ocracoke Island has six oaks that are members of the Live Oak Society. You can read about them here:  www.villagecraftsmen.com/news122908.htm.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is a photo gallery of past July 4th parade photos. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news062113.htm.

3 comments:

  1. I love this picture, Philip. Thanks for posting it. I believe my sister took it a couple of years ago. While entrance into the exclusive Live Oak Society is surely far in the future for this lovely tree, the name is fitting, as the tree can certainly represent some interesting Tolson-Rondthaler history! Great to see you! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:20 PM

    I sit under this tree at least once a year, catching up on my reading, can't wait for October to get here. - Nollie

    ReplyDelete