Friday, March 10, 2017

In the Bathtub

I shared this story about ten years ago, but think it is worth repeating.

As much as we enjoy the natural beauty of Ocracoke, many islanders will tell you that it is the community that we treasure most. It is common for us to loan & borrow tools, clam rakes, ladders, and even automobiles. We are quick to volunteer when a neighbor needs a helping hand. But sometimes even we are surprised and amused when friends turn to us for a little assistance.

Some years ago I came home in the late afternoon. I was taken aback when I discovered a neighbor lying on my bed, leisurely reading a magazine.

"Oh, hi K____," I said. "What's up?" trying not to betray my astonishment.

"I'm just relaxing here for a few minutes," she said. "I am waiting for D_____. He's in your bathroom, taking a bath."

As I learned, their bathroom was being repaired, and I was happy to provide mine.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Electrification of Ocracoke Island. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news022117.htm.
 

4 comments:

  1. Debbie Leonard7:22 AM

    Haha, that's definitely Ocracoke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Man we need to hear a Bunch of these kind of stories. I remember the Teenagers with Knives incident. That is a classic. And an incident off island involving a teenage SWAT team in Angola.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:49 AM

    Talk about "laid back"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:39 PM

    Karen and Dave?

    ReplyDelete