Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Maria Update

Although the tide came up over the roads in several places in the village yesterday, we were spared at Village Craftsmen on Howard Street.

At the Slushy Stand/Ride the Wind Corner
















It is still cloudy and windy this morning, but we are looking forward to sunny weather tomorrow.

You can see more photos and a video on our Facebook page.

A reader posted this question yesterday, "I am not up on computers that much but why is it easier to post things on facebook than on here?? I went on face book once and I was bombarded by ads and junk for weeks. I rather read your posts here-it seems safer."

In the early days of this blog I did my best to keep our readers informed of conditions before, during, and after hurricanes and storms.  It was often the best source of information for folks off the island. Several years ago it became apparent that Facebook was a better source for up-to-date storm news. The reason for this is networking. I could only post photos I had taken in my neighborhood. To get a broader perspective I had to wade all over the village...and that was often impossible during the storm, and difficult afterwards. With Facebook we can share photos and videos posted by dozens of friends and neighbors.

Our readers may have noticed that I (Philip) write this blog, and my daughter (Amy) posts on Facebook. Our blog continues to be a source for short articles about island history, culture, and traditions. We share longer articles and stories in our monthly newsletter. The Village Craftsmen Facebook page is your best source for up-to-date and more comprehensive news, especially about storms and hurricanes. We hope you will follow them all.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter highlights several noteworthy staircases in historic island homes. To read the newsletter, and see photos, click here: www.villagecraftsmen.com/news092117.html.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:27 PM

    Yes,I asked the question yesterday. Thank you for clearing that up. One more thing the structure behind the slushy stand, how long has that been there and what is it? I haven't been there in a while but the last time I did notice that there is less and less of the lake that can be seen from the road. Too bad, some of those views were really nice. most of the good views are now blocked by something, a building, a dumpster, a sign. Progress I guess. Thanks again for answering my question about Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look for my answer to your question in our blog for this Friday, September 29, 2017.

      Delete