Monday, January 15, 2018

Cremation Jewelry

Recent after-dinner conversation at my house turned to burial practices and cremation. I was reminded of a customer at the Village Craftsmen a number of years ago.

A congenial elderly couple came into our gallery. While I was chatting with the woman I nodded toward the gentleman with her, and referred to him as her husband. "Oh, he is not my husband," she countered. "My first husband is here," she said, pointing to the locket-type earring dangling from her right ear. "And my second husband is here," she added, touching her left earring.

Noticing a matching locket on a chain around her neck, and nodding to the gentleman with her and pointing to the necklace, I remarked, "So, I suppose he will go there."

"Oh no," she quickly informed me, "that's my dog."

You meet the most interesting people at Ocracoke!

(I just did an internet search for "cremation jewelry" and came up with more than one million links!)


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:53 AM

    Was she wearing a bracelet? If I were that guy I would be careful, very careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:26 AM

    Philip, Hi..maybe you can help me. Years ago I took a picture of a boat, in the fog, on Silver Lake docked to a small shed. On the transom of the boat it says WESTWIND, Ocracoke,NC. Do you happen to know who owns/owned this boat? I blew the picture up to a 16 x 20 and then filed it away. Now I'd like to see if the boat owner would like the picture. I'l just give it to him the next time that I come down there. Any help will be appreciated, thanks, NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nollie, check with Rudy Austin. The Westwind might have been his father's boat.

      Delete